So this creature was fairly straightforward in terms of design, I didn’t want to push it too extreme (although now I feel like I should have gone further) and have it be a ‘regular’ enemy. After some sketches loosely figuring out the design I went ahead and made my drawing.
After laying the drawing out I did a quick pass of acrylics to lay out some values. Next time I think I will just start with my colors from here though.
Now everything was in place to start with some colors.
I laid in the main colors pretty thinly at first, mixing them with a bit of linseed oil and odorless mineral spirits. After that I gradually increased my opacity until I got to this point. I had to let it sit for a bit before the next layer.
This is a shot right before I took it into the computer. I’ve glazed on quite a bit of shadow and light over my initial colors here, opting for a cool blueish shadow, and a warm yellow light. I also worked into the cool rim light a bit as well.
I mostly kept my adjustments in photoshop to levels, since the photo I took turned out a little dark. I also added a bit of glow to my cool rim light with a hard light layer. It was then removed from the background and saved out as a .png for use in RPGMaker!
Go vote for the next battler here.