Last week, we took a look at the music, animations, and time progress battle system… so what is on the table for this week: Graphics, Mapping changes and Eventing!
Enhanced Map Editor!
Map Layers Have Returned!
One of the most requested RPG Maker features makes its return in RPG Maker MZ! The layer system is no longer only automatic! You can switch between manual and automatic layer control through the menu or through a quick keyboard shortcut!
The return of layers means you can now draw underneath existing parts of the tile! Put A tiles on the upper layer, use D tiles as a base. Stack 4 A tiles, or 4 B-E tiles, or any mix in any order!
The control of layers is now in your hands!
In addition, there are a number of minor enhancements to the mapping editor, such as:
- ★ passability tiles now always appear in the editor as they would appear in game.
- The map tree drag and drop behavior has been enhanced to make it easier to rearrange your maps.
More Powerful Events!
In addition to the map editor enhancements, many, many event commands have gotten tweaks to make them more powerful and easier to use. Let’s dive right in on a few example changes!
- The Show Text command has added a name box field! No longer will a plugin be needed just to ID the character speaking!
- Events and the player are now selectable locations for the Get Location Info command! Easily determine the Terrain Tag or Region ID of the tile the character or an event is standing on.
- Wait for Completion checkbox added to the Scroll Map command
- Basic Tweening/Easing Options are now added to Move Picture Command. Available settings include Constant Speed, Slow Start, Slow End and Slow Start and End settings
- The Button selection for the Conditional Branch command has now added Pressed (activates and continues as long as held), Triggered (activates and does not repeat when held down), and Repeated (activates and continues as long as held, longer delay between repeat) options.
- And many more!
Preview Move Route!
A more substantial change to the Event Editor is the Preview Move Route option! More easily see how your event will move with a press of a button!
You can easily click on another spot on the preview to set the start point of the move route, for use with moving targets other than the event originating the command. This move route preview is available in both the Set Movement Route command and the Autonomous Movement custom route!
RPG Maker MZ features the largest collection of default materials in series history! With a massive collection of graphics and music to work with, you can jump right into making your game.
On top of all the types of materials you are familiar with, RPG Maker MZ also adds Busts and Full Character Arts for all 120 characters that have face graphics!
And now that MZ supports .ogg files no matter how the project is deployed, you will no longer have to bloat your project folder with both .ogg and .m4a files!
- Animations: 120
- Battle Background 1: 51
- Battle Background 2: 50
- Character Sprites Sheets: 44
- Character SV Battlers: 40
- Face Graphic Sheets: 15
- Character Busts: 120
- Character Full Art: 120
- Enemy Battlers: 105
- Enemy SV Battlers: 105
- Tileset Sheets: 31
- Parallaxes: 21
- Title Screens: 20
- Weapons: 25
- States: 10
- Icon: 273
- Button Set: 2
- Balloon: 10
- 48 BGM
- 29 BGS
- 27 ME
- 345 SE