This time I took a slightly different approach, meshing a bit of comic influence with my usual textured rendering style.
First the description of Wrath from our internal documents gave me what I was looking for in my concepts: ” red, bulked out, classic demon, angry axe!” Pretty easy for me!
So I just scribbled out a bunch of things in my sketchbook until I found something I liked and bounced it off of a few people. After that I headed into the drawing.
So I took a few bits from each of my concepts and kind of amalgamated them together. I ended up having to darken/thicken that outer edge line as I didn’t end up making it as emphasized as I wanted it to be. For this I used 2B lead on smooth bristol.
I have a nice scan of some canvas brushed with burnt umber that I like to use as a ground. On the computer, changing it to grayscale lets it work better with photoshop’s layer styles; at least in my experience.
I’ve added an overlay of a color I liked for a background and then highlighted a few spots on it with white. This is kind of my roadmap of where I want colors and values to go.
Here I’ve blocked in my colors semi-transparently, I can still see some of the texture and value shifts on the layers beneath.
Getting a bit more opaque I start layering in some lights and darks on top of my blocked in colors on a new layer. All of these still exist beneath the line-art in photoshop.
On top of my line art I make a new layer and paint opaquely onto that, fleshing out all of the little details I had hinted at in previous layers and solidifying the value structure of the character. After I put a bunch of paint down, I make a new hard-light layer and do some light effects on it. Then I’m done!